But there's hope: THE DREAM ACT IS COMING UP for a vote very soon!
The CSfC Immigration Reform/In-state Tuition Team urges you to:
- Call Sen. Reid (866-877-5552). Ask him to keep his promise and bring the DREAM Act for a vote during the lame duck session of Congress!
- Call Sen. Brown (888-259-8432). Urge him to honor educational opportunities for all students and better our economy by voting YES on the DREAM Act!
- Join us for phonebanks to call CSfC members on 11/30 and 12/1 6-9pm at RE/MAX Destiny, 907 Mass. Ave. Cambridge
Why we need the DREAM Act:
Each year, 934,000 children, born elsewhere, attend elementary or secondary school in the US. Soon they will be graduating high school, many as honor students, star athletes, aspiring teachers, doctors, and engineers. They were brought here as small children and are officially considered undocumented immigrants. Despite their academic achievements, they face unique barriers to college and to work, wasting their productive talents, as well as their ability to give back to their local communities--and economies--as educated workers.
What would the DREAM Act do?
The Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors (DREAM) Act would allows students who meet very strict requirements to earn conditional permanent residency, and later, citizenship, once they successfully complete two years of college or military service. The DREAM Act would provide educational opportunity and equality to young people who are eager and motivated to succeed - if the U.S. lets them.
What can YOU do TODAY?
1. Call Sen. Reid (866-877-55552). Ask him to keep his promise and bring the DREAM Act for a vote during the Lame Duck session of Congress!
2. Call Sen. Brown (888-259-8432). Urge him to honor educational opportunities for all students and better our economy by voting YES on the DREAM Act!
3. Join us for phonebanks on 11/30 and 12/1 to call CSfC members 6-9pm at RE/MAX Destiny, 907 Mass. Ave. Cambridge (near Central Square, across from the Plough and Stars).
Speaker Pelosi has said she will schedule a vote in the House on Nov. 29th; Sen. Reid has said he will schedule a vote in the Senate on Nov. 30th or Dec. 1st, as a stand alone bill.
We need to give these leaders the courage and political will to move the DREAM Act forward! CSfC's Immigration/In-state Tuition Team has been working on this issue for 18 months. Now we need all CSfC'ers to help us reach the finish line for justice and equality for our immigrant friends and neighbors.
Please call today. Then let us know you've done so by emailing email@example.com.